Thursday, June 28, 2007

1408




I had high expectations for this film since spring break when I first caught sight of the trailer. I was excited about the prospect of a new Cusack movie and when I found out it would be based on a Stephen king short story my already high expectations went through the roof.


I was so excited in fact I went so far as to read the short story in preparation for the film.While the story was decent, it was only a short story (70 pages) and the intro from Stephen King lead me to believe he had not spent much time on it. However, there was a great story there and the movie does an excellent job filling out the plot and adding new dimensions to the frame work King had laid down.


I honestly believe 1408 will do for hotels what Jaws did for the ocean.The film is both an interesting character driven story as well as alternating between jump at you thrills and deeply psychological ploys. It is rare to find a decent horror movie these days and even stranger still to find one that is of the Pg-13 genre, but 1408 meets both criteria. Many times in the theater I found my self squirming with discomfort at the built up pressure through out the film.


On top of a great script and shot development, Cusack puts in a fantastic performance. Though he only has the hotel room as a co-star for most of the film in some ways that works to his advantage. The empty room is a great showcase to his brooding character and only adds to the tension when there is no one there for him to turn to for a reality check.


The rest of the cast is pretty much a throw away, and even Samuel L. Jackson’s character could probably have been better cast to fit the film. I, for some reason, like the roll of creepy hotel manager to have a more menacing look to them. But I guess I am just old school like that.


I am an avid horror fan, and if you are tired of the same old blood before story that seems to comprise our cinema experience these days I would definitely recommend 1408.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home