Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Thursdays are for old friends: Mos Def

So, I am not a big Hip-hop guy but I do try to get a listen in from time to time, and while Mos Def isnt anywhere near being new to the scene he has come up on radar for a few reasons.


#1 being his previous roll in "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy" (which was very underrated) and now his newst roll staring across from Jack Black in "Be Kind, Rewind", which is the new Michel Gondry joint due out this winter. The movie looks fantastic and if the trailer is an indication I would say this is going to be the 4th straight Gondry film I'm going to buy.

But aside from his interesting acting career he is also one of the coolest voices in hip-hop. And he is also very socially conscious, which is something new these days.

The one and only album I have by him is "True Magic" which is a hefty record.

Wikipedia tells me he worked with members of The Neptunes on it and I have to say it is quite fun to listen to. My favorite track off the album is "Dollar Day" which is about the destruction and hypocrisy that fallowed after hurricane Katrina. The beat is fun, and the lyrics are biting at times. He even disses U2 and Bono!

Its a keeper of an album. Take a few tracks and go see "Be Kind, Rewind."


"Dollar Day (Surprise, Surprise".mp3

"Tru3 Magic.mp3"

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home